Monday, February 22, 2016

Elk Pot Rost, Gravy and Potatoes

There are many hunters in my family. I do not hunt. Just not sure I could actually hunt. But I have had to learn to cook elk, venison and ducks because of it. I am not a big fan of wild game so I was hoping the pressure cooker would help with the taste of it. I am so happy with the results. We did a pheasant in it one day and if you have ever had pheasant, you know how dry it can be. After using the pressure cooker I was shocked how moist it turned out. So we decided to try an elk roast last night. It turned out wonderful. Have I mentioned how much I love my pressure cooker? LOL!

Note: I do not like to cook my potatoes with the roast and gravy so I do it after the roast is done.

Elk Roast and Potatoes

Roast Ingredients:

2-3 LB Elk Roast
1 Small Onion, diced
Flour (enough to cover the roast)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Montreal Seasoning taste
2 TBS Olive Oil
4 Cups Beef Stock (We used homemade stock. I found a recipe online at YouTube but can't find the link to share it with you. I will hopefully find it again and share the link)
3 TBS Cornstarch
3 TBS Water


Directions for roast:

1. Rinse your roast and pat dry.
2. Cover your roast with flour
3. Season with salt, pepper stand Montreal Seasoning to taste.
4. Turn your pressure cooker to saute (we don't have a saute setting on ours so we turned it to the meat setting). Add your olive oil and add your elk. Brown your meat on all sides (about 4 minutes each side)
5. Add your beef broth. Secure your lid and turn your pressure cooker to high for 40 minutes.
6. When done release steam and carefully remove lid.
7. In bowl whisk together cornstarch and water and stir in the pressure cooker
8. Place lid back on your pressure cooker and set to high for 15 minutes
9. When done release steam and carefully remove lid. Take out your roast and season your gravy with salt and pepper if desired.


Potatoes Ingredients:

8 Medium Potatoes, peeled and diced (we use Idahoan but any you like is fine)
3 Cups Chicken Stock or Chicken Broth
Milk (to blend... amount will be as you are mixing)
3 TBS Butter (or to taste)

Directions for Potatoes:

1. Turn on your pressure cooker to high (we use the meat setting set for 15 minutes)
2. Add your chicken broth to the pot
3. Put your diced potatoes in the basket and put the basket in the pot (or you can just place in your pressure cooker, but in the basket works well because you can just lift the basket out of the pot without the chicken broth)
4. Put your lid on the pressure cooker and let it run through the cycle.
5. When done, release steam and carefully remove lid. Lift basket out of the pot and put the potatoes in a large bowl.
6. Add butter and about 1/4 Cup milk (or a little less) and mix with hand mixer until smooth, adding more milk if needed.
7. Salt and pepper if desired.

Serve with gravy






No comments:

Post a Comment