Creamy Potato Soup (Stovetop)
1 LB Bacon, diced, cooked
2 TBS butter
1 Medium onion, diced
3 Carrots, peeled and diced
3 Stalks Celery, diced
6 Cups Potatoes, peeled and diced to about 1 pieces.
4 Cups Chicken Broth
3 TBS Cornstarch (or thickening agent of your choice. We love to use Cornstarch)
1 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1 TSP Salt
1 TSP Black Pepper
1/2 TSP Red Pepper Flakes
1 TSP Fresh Parsley, finely diced
1-1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese (grated)
Cheddar cheese (optional to garnish)
Green onions (optional to garnish)
Sour cream (optional to garnish)
1. Cook bacon in large saucepan until it's crisp. Take out bacon and set aside.
2. Drain most of the bacon fat but leave some in pan
3. Add the onions, carrots, and celery into the saucepan. Stir and cook for until onions are translucent (about 4 minutes)
4. Add potatoes, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 4 minutes.
5. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes (or until potatoes are tender).
6. Whisk together flour and milk and slowly pour into the soup.
7. Add parsley and let cook for 5 minutes
8. Now this part is up to you. If you like chunky potato soup, skip this part. If you like smooth soup, follow these steps. Puree mixture in your blender in batches until all has been pureed and the texture is smooth. When done, return to pot.
9. Turn stove to a med-low heat. Add bacon, heavy cream and cheese and stir until cheese is melted (do not bring to a boil)
You can garnish with cheddar cheese, green onions or sour cream (or all if you like)